Archives

All posts by grant@ospreyssupportersclub.com

In attendance:

Name Representing
Steve Phillips, Julie Paterson, Mark Killingley WRU
Neil Bathgate, Barrie Jones, Gareth Storey Crys 16
Dan Hallett, Ryan Price Dragons Official Supporters Club
Grant Berni, Keith Collins, Sarah Davies Ospreys Supporters Club
David Elsmere Cardiff Blues Supporters Club
Huw Jones CF10 Supporters Trust

 

Introductions:

MK introduced JP and SP, representing the WRU and stated that Martyn Phillips has started hand over to SP yesterday (14/9).

NB offered thanks to WRU representatives for giving up time to meet with the JSG. Supporters trusts/ clubs introduced themselves to WRU and their links with the relevant clubs.

 

Loans to the regions and pay cuts – What is the current situation and the approach to repayments?

SP – we are getting a loan from NatWest. This is via the CL Bills programme, which is a government scheme to support businesses during the COVID crisis. Credit approval expected tomorrow (16/9), with everything finalised by the end of September. Details of the loan will be announced to the media on Thursday (17.9.20).

NB – Is this replacing WRU money to the regions? Will WRU contribute to the repayments?

SP – Out and out loan to the regions. This links to what regions would expect to receive as part of the PRA. Repayment sits at a regional level but WRU taking it on as they have a balance sheet able to manage the loan amount, the regions may not have this.

NB – If WRU income picks up, will there be a contribution from WRU?

SP – If we were to get crowds in autumn, full crowds in 6n or concerts in 2021, then we would contribute towards the loan. For example, if we received 5 million by year end 2021, in addition to the current income that we have modelled, this would reduce burden on regions. However, this is only until the end of 2021.

MK – PRA is based on a risk/ reward basis for pro game income – More concerts more rewards, COVID pandemic, no income therefore PRB wear the pain of the losses, which is very unfortunate in the first year of the agreement.

HJ – 3 independent teams carrying huge risk in this situation, what will happen for the union owned region?

SP – This was a combined PRB decision of how to solve the crisis.

HJ – Role of the WRU is not only to safeguard the company but to act as the Governing Body to safeguard various sectors of the sport. Could the regions be further protected?

SP – Our assets, as in the stadium, give us the ability to take out the loan and this is what NatWest need to secure the loan. If we don’t secure the company, there will be no sport.

NB –What are the lessons learned in case of a similar crisis in the future? Regions have tried to reduce costs where possible but not much more can be done.

SP – We need to replenish Welsh rugby reserves in case of another crisis. We have gone into those reserves this time, which has helped reduce the impact.

HJ – How do you envisage regions being able to repay the loan – Could be in excess of £1m per annum for 5 years, which is a huge ask.

SP – CL bills has a 3 year life (government rule), we needed to make sure repayments were over 5 years to be more manageable. We had a plan to grow our income pre-COVID and still hope that will be the case when we come out the other side, which will reduce the burden on repayments for the regions.

NB – At the Scarlets and Ospreys all staff have taken 25% cut, Blues pay cut still pending, Dragons have said playing staff only. Why is this? Bearing in mind the relationship between the WRU and Dragons.

MK – Some non-playing staff have sadly lost their jobs at the Dragons.

JP – All playing staff have taken 25% at all 4 regions. Other non-playing staff have taken cuts, but this is variable depending on role roughly between 10% and 25%.

MK – Off field the staffing model for back office staff across regions is inconsistent. PRB did some phenomenal work to bring it all together and agree cuts but fundamentally they are all different businesses.

HJ – Any additional conditions from WRU imposed on regions?

SP – CL bills agreement is standard and will be passed on to regions. Not currently inclined to add any additional conditions other than what has been agreed at PRB.

HJ – Rumour of shared services requirement to be added to the conditions?

SP – On the table but not agreed at this time. For example, things like marketing, ticket sales.

JP – if its non-performance related, can it be streamlined is the question to the regions.

 

What is the anticipated impact of additional autumn fixtures on international squad size, knock on effect to regional squads?

JP – The additional fixtures are hugely important to recoup lost income. NZ tour cancelled, as has been the Celtic Cup, JRWC 2020 and likely 2021 will be cancelled. 7s cancelled until at least April 2021. Autumn campaign squad size will remain at 38, possibly with a couple of additional players for training only purposes. Not taking additional players out but not guaranteeing release of players within 38. Last option before 2021 6N to test combinations, cap players and try out youngsters. No formal rotation policy but take each game on its merits. Important players get game time after so long without rugby.

GB – France friendly before nations cup, will this mean players released early for this fixture and has the Autumn window increased in length, allowing the extra fixtures?

JP – All players in 38 and identified “watch players” will have an individualised player plans, that are player specific to ensure they get appropriate game time. Reg 9 window – this has increased by World Rugby for 1 year only. Even English clubs on board with release of players during that extended window. Important to mitigate losses and drive revenue, as well as getting game back into public spotlight.

 

What is the hope for the return of crowds to international and domestic rugby?

GB – Not sure if we will get crowds in the autumn but what is liability of using other grounds outside of wales if they cannot have crowds? Any consideration for using regional grounds?

JP – We would look to place in agreement that we can recall games back to Wales. Working with Pro 14 and working around planned league game days. Lots of spinning plates but lots of options explored to ensure we can maximise income and limit any liabilities.

SP – For example Scotland game is planned to be in London, however, we have the option of pulling it and moving game if no crowds allowed. Realistically, it is unlikely we will have a crowd for Scotland, so we may well pull game before an agreed deadline to reduce risk. Time and cost to brand stadiums will also impact on the decision that for example RFU wouldn’t have at Twickenham, if there was no crowd allowed.

JP – On rugby side we want to make an early call, so players know where they are playing, whilst giving ourselves the best chance of getting a crowd in if we are allowed.

MK – We have explored more than 2 options on most grounds, explored lots of options around ground availability, ticket systems, groundsman issues, branding. Will likely stagger announcements to maximise opportunity to get income in through ticket sales.

SP – If we don’t take games to London with crowds we lose opportunity to recoup losses and reduce burden of the loan, so want to hold off on decision as long as possible.

HJ – How can fans be expected to take out season tickets when most of their high profile players will be with team Wales for most of the season?

MK – Regions have approached season tickets in different ways but we have cooperated to support them and advised as best we can to shape the product they are offering.

JP – Regions have been fully aware of nations cup plan and involved in how this will work and understand the need for it. Barely any conflict, lots of joined up thinking around new season approach and regional coaches understand bigger picture.

MK – We feel we have worked brilliantly with the regions on this.

 

What are the long-term plans for the international and global calendar?

JP – World Rugby discussions are ongoing. My opinion is that windows will stay the same but an autumn competition will be formed.

SP – Countries working well together, 6N and SANZAR aligned in the debate. Not sure best time of when to bring it in around RWC. Still some issues between FFR and LNR.

NB – As fans, we would like to see competitions more aligned so they flow better in blocks.

JP – Not just pro and international but development competitions needed as well. We won’t just restart all competitions as they were, we would like to dovetail competitions to ensure development players aren’t all lost to regions at same time.

SP – What would supporters preference for the window be, summer or autumn?

NB – As long as it’s one and not both I don’t think they’d mind which.

DE – Need to keep new and existing fans engaged through a block of rugby.

JP – A lot of work being done to block league and cup competitions. Light at end of the tunnel from 2022 onwards.

MK – Would you prefer self-contained competitions?

NB – Teams lose momentum with 4 week breaks, for supporters we prefer week in, week out domestic rugby in the same competition rather than Pro14, Europe, internationals and back to Europe etc.

JP – Players would prefer blocked competitions to ramp up to major games. Opportunity to have development competition for regions when internationals happening to give supporters week in, week out rugby, whilst not diminishing other competitions.

 

How has the situation of CVC Investment in the Pro 14 developed in recent months?

RP – Has the situation of the investment changed since COVID? What is the flow of revenue from CVC to the regions?

SP – When we did the deal there was protection for payments, however the risk profile changed slightly due to COVID. Therefore, some future payments are now contingent. We believe CVC have the ability to deliver, however there are some commercial challenges which has set back the timeline for seeing CVC impact. Still optimistic and discussions with 6N ongoing about investment there.

RP – Commercial inventory for the professional game or is there some money that’s planned for the recreational game?

SP – Allowance for one off payment to recreational game but investment weighted to pro game. Income streams will benefit the pro game hugely and be contingent on progress of the product.

JP – Regions were keen to give a contribution to the community game and this was agreed with PRB.

 

With the addition of Amazon Video to cover the Autumn Nations Cup, are streaming services likely to be a part of future TV deals?

RP – Amazon TV deal is welcome in current climate. Is this the direction of travel for streaming services to be a part of future deals?

SP – Amazon deal for the Autumn was done through the 6N, not via CVC. Great to have new entrant to the market other than Sky and BT. We have ensured S4C have Welsh Language rights as part of the contract. Always likely to get criticism for paywall coverage but pleased that FTA is retained through S4C.

GB – Are we likely to see a joined-up approach to future broadcast deals, or is it likely to be fragmented?

SP – Always likely to be fragmented – For example Pro 14 rights are sold by Pro 14. SP and JP sit on Pro 14 board and try to influence direction of travel. Sold by competition Pro 14, Europe, 6N and Autumn Cup sold as separate bundles. Work between unions to maximise value of UK rights.

JP – When we get to better place of competitions dovetailing, rather than overlapping this will influence what coverage looks like. Whilst there is an overlap, there will be a challenge of fragmented coverage for different competitions.

MK – If we could wave a magic wand, we would like one pay partner and one FTA partner. Currently the competition structure is too complicated and too many people involved to negotiate better TV deals in the opinion of the broadcasters.

JP – We also have the added complication of 2 of our regions dictated by football league fixtures.

 

What is the timeline for the appointment of a new Chair and CEO? How has this affected SP’s role as CFO?
SP – Chair appointed post AGM in the board meeting planned for late October. Just doing CEO duties and handover has started from Martyn Phillips, CFO promoted internally whilst I am interim CEO. I will be Interim until told otherwise by the board, likely to be into 2021.

NB – What was the rationale for going through the process of looking for a permanent CEO knowing the chair is likely to change and want to have an input?

SP – Can’t answer that one, would need to ask the board.

 

What is the short, medium and long term plan for Pro 14 and regional rugby? What are the contingencies in place considering potential travel issues?

JP – SA teams cannot travel in 2020. Their involvement would be 2021 onwards subject to SA government agreement on travel. That is mapped, as are scenarios for teams not joining, or if they join in February for instance. First 11 rounds are set and as we creep towards later rounds, we will understand if January/ February looks doable from SA teams/ SA government point of view. I chair rugby committee for Pro 14, regions fully aware of scenarios and contingency planning.

DE – What about the medium/ long term plan for Pro 14 and the regions?

JP – Make the best of it and maximise potential. CVC coming in have a headline plan for the future of the competition and meetings to look at detail start next week. Understanding the need for European competition and other good quality competitions. We need to make sure we are involved in those discussions around competitions and have the ability to compete in the latter stages of these competitions. 2022 will be a watershed year for rugby as broadcasting deals, future calendars and competition plans come together. I represent the views of regions on the Pro 14, have done for 8 years as a neutral, taking forward views of regional shareholders.

DE – What is the plan for the Dragons in terms of private investment?

JP – Would like to take them back into private ownership, we were nearly there pre-COVID but put on hold. Once a way forward post COVID is clear, the Dragons will put momentum back into the process for agreeing private investment.

HJ – Med/ Long term – do you think there will be a B & I league?

JP – My opinion, if it happens, it will be in the medium term. Needs to be explored in next couple of seasons and it has more legs now than ever before. Good links with PRL, so opportunity is there with CVC influence. English clubs brought a lot of money to the table pre-COVID but their landscape has changed so the door is more open that it was.

MK – English clubs want a quality competition, as we all do. The crisis creates opportunity and if I was CVC representative then I would be pushing hard for that.

 

What is the plan for de-commissioning and handing back the Dragon’s heart hospital and how have you worked with Welsh Government around the return of rugby?

JP – De-commissioning has started, will be handed back week before Christmas into a fully operational stadium. CAP should be ready sooner but part of de-commissioning process. Two groups have been set up with WG to discuss professional and recreational game return. We have been lobbying for return of games with working groups. Provided mitigations around testing, COVID operation procedures and mitigation of other risk factors. We have exemptions for travel in and out of Wales to fulfil fixtures. Weekly call with WG to discuss progress.

JP – Community game is more complex, governed by social distancing guidelines. If social distancing rule is changed to 0 metres, we can get game back on. Other option is an exemption to change laws of the game or how the game will operate, which we are putting together a proposal at the moment. We are the first governing body round the table to discuss this with WG. We are joined up with pro teams and all in it together to see safe return.

HJ – Any compensation for use of the stadium from NHS or Welsh Government?

MK – Covering WRU costs, not paying to loan the stadium. For example, the cost of maintenance and cleaning staff and covering utility bills we would not otherwise have used but we have not made money. Welsh Rugby have done the right thing in supporting Health Boards in the crisis.

HJ – Did you explore option of WG grant prior to going to NatWest?

JP – Yes, but non-starter.

JP – We get more traction to support community game, For example, after Storm Dennis. Push back when we talk to them about support for the professional game.

BJ – Who in WG do you deal with?

JP – Weekly sports group set up, when it came to grants/ loans then that was to Mark Drakeford directly.

 

Do you think PRB structures will be here to stay with a new chair coming in next month and the PRA will remain as it is?

JP – My opinion is we need a professional game board, separate to the community game, so hopefully nothing to change with new chair as those structures are only just establishing and have had big challenges in the last 12 months. As a governance structure it makes sense to have a separate community and professional game board.

JP – We are all in it together as a professional game, we don’t always agree but it’s far from broken.  We are not all at each other’s throats but sometimes that suits journalists’ narratives.

MK – PRB positioning within the media is important going forward. We want to be honest about the conversations that are happening and not point scoring in the background. If we don’t have answers, what’s the harm in saying we don’t know. Amanda Blanc trying to do this positively, but situations have conspired against us in recent months.

HJ – A more open approach is very much needed and would be welcomed. Finally, if there is to be a continued separation of the pro game and the community game, then there needs to be an overarching strategy for rugby in Wales that everyone can buy into.

 

NB – thanked MK, SP and JP for their time and an informative call. Aim to have another call in around 6 months.

The Ospreys Supporters Cub’s Annual General Meeting will take place at 19:00, Monday 28th September via Zoom.

All OSC members (season ticket holders) are invited to attend and to stand for election to the committee should they wish to do so (providing conditions laid out in the constitution are met – see the link below). If you have the energy, commitment and the skills to contribute to the OSC, please email grant@ospreyssupportersclub.com to find out more or to submit an application to join the committee.

Further details about the AGM and committee can be found here in the OSC constitution

As this will be our first virtual AGM there may be limited access. If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting, please email grant@ospreyssupportersclub.com – joining details will be sent out prior to the meeting starting.

 

BH Events have contacted the OSC to let us know about a free ZOOM event with some serious Ospreys firepower!  This is a great opportunity to hear from the players and to ask them some challenging questions (like how many more TikTok dance videos is Dan going to make!)

George North, Dan Lydiate and Gareth Anscombe will be online with Polly James hosing the Q&A session from 8pm on Wednesday 1st July.

This event is free but there will be the opportunity for attendees to make donations to Noah’s Ark Charity, supporting Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospital for Wales in providing world class care, helping to ensure the best outcome and experience possible for children and their families.

This isn’t an OSC event so you must register for this event in advance at the Eventbrite website by clicking the big green Join Up button.  After registering, you’ll get all the information required to join the Zoom call – if you’ve not used Zoom before, install it and test it well in advance of the event!

The OSC note today’s statement released by the Ospreys regarding the options for current Season Ticket holders.

The Region, like many businesses, continues to be adversely affected by the Covid 19 crisis and the detrimental effect on finances due to amongst other factors Supporters being unable to attend matches.

The OSC fully appreciate that many Season Ticket holders have also suffered and continue to suffer financially during lockdown and we commend the Ospreys on the options of credit, refund or donation.

However, we hope that many Supporters will chose the donate option in an effort to assist in ensuring the continued financial viability of the Ospreys.


The following information is taken from the Ospreys website and has also been sent to season ticket holders by email:

First and foremost, we hope you and your family are healthy and safe during this unprecedented time. Thank you to all who have already expressed messages of support to Ospreys – it’s been inspiring to receive your well-wishes and makes us proud to be part of this community.

Along with all professional sports in Wales, rugby has been suspended since 14th March 2020 due to the outbreak of COVID-19, affecting all Guinness PRO14 and European Cup fixtures. Today it was announced that the Guinness Pro14 will target 22nd August 2020 to recommence the 2019/20 season. Although professional games will return, we will not have fans in the ground until it is safe to do so meaning it’s likely that the remaining 2019/20 fixtures will be played behind closed doors.

Sadly many of you, whether our Season Members or match ticket buyers, will have tickets to games that we can no longer fulfil.

Know that we are working hard behind the scenes with WRU and the other Welsh Regions to come up with the fairest way for our fans to realise the value they’re entitled to whilst considering the long-term sustainability of our region and rugby in Wales. 

The most likely course of action will be for us to ask anyone with an unused ticket balance to decide between supporting the Ospreys through a donation back into the region, accepting credits to be carried through to next season or redeeming a cash refund. We will reach out directly to those supporters affected with our options in due course.

For any questions, please contact us via email at info@ospreysrugby.com and we will endeavour to respond to all enquiries as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience, understanding and ongoing support during this challenging time.

My friend Gary Lewis passed away earlier this month as the age of 52 .  Gary was an Ospreys season ticker holder, Riverside regular and often used the Neath/Bryncoch supporters bus to games.  A group of us would regularly sit together on the halfway line and have a great laugh – win or lose, we’d enjoy each others’ company (normally entertaining each other by shouting non sensical comments at the opposition, advice to the ref (and assistant refs) or endless shouts of “Go on Jeff!” aimed to encourage Mr Hassler and also to make the rest of us laugh).  What was funny was Gary would often say he couldn’t remember where his real season ticket seats were as we’d sat as a group for years but never sorted our tickets out to make it official.  The picture here is of us on the most memorable of away trips to Dublin for the Rabo 12 Grand Final – Gary’s wearing the Neath FC top just to be a bit different!

Gary died of cancer and leaves behind his loving wife Janine, as well as three wonderful children Ellie, Jess and Tom.  Gary will be sorely missed by his friends and family but also remembered fondly for the pleasure he brought to the lives of everyone who knew him.  He was the coolest, nicest and one of the funniest and most handsome mates I’ve ever had.

Gary’s friends have set up a bank account to help raise money for a memorial (perhaps a bench, or a new scoreboard) at Bryncoch RFC where Gary coached and refereed the boys from U7 to U16.

If anyone would like to make a donation to Gary’s memorial fund, please can you do so via a bank transfer (a close family friend has set up a new account specifically for this – so the account name is Sarah Gould but I can vouch that this is legitimate).

Account details:

Name: Sarah Gould

Account number: 63280964

Sort Code 07-16-60

 

Grant Berni

Vice-Chair

OSC

 

 

 

POSTPONED…..

 

….due to coronavirous controls in place kn Italy 

 

 

We’ve had the kind invite from the Dubh Linn Irish Pub at the centre of Parma that includes the offer of 10% off your food bill.

Parma is a beautiful, compact city offering something for historians, lovers of art, lovers of food, lovers of beer and lovers of rugby!  The welcome any travelling supporters will get from Zebre Rugby Club and it’s crazy supporters is second to none, so make sure you say “ciao”.

The 5000-seater Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi opened in 2008 and sits on the northern outskirts of Parma, 3km (two miles) from the centre.  It can be reached in a five-minute taxi ride from Parma train station and the centre of the city, a 40-minute walk, or a short bus journey. 

If you’ve never been in a car with an Italian driver, its worth the short taxi journey to the ground just for the full Italian experience!  (but the buses or the walk are fine if you’re not a thrill seeker).

This is what Roberto from the Dubh Linn has to say:

Dear Sirs,

we are The “Dubh Linn Irish Pub” in Parma and we will like to welcome you for this 2020 season to our small but warm crossroad between Italian and Irish culture.

It will be a pleasure having your supporters to watch your favourite competition with a good old Guinness in their hands.We would like to offer your members,  along with our specialities, 10% discount on dinners, if you’ll like to choose our Pub for  this season. We look forward to receiving a response from you and we wish you the best of luck.

Roberto Testi

Dubh Linn Irish Pub

Parma

Borgo del Correggio,1

 

This year, our vice-chair, Grant Berni will be taking part in the inaugural OitC Judgement Day charity bike ride.

He’s a keen cyclist and just as keen to watch the game so he says “this is a perfect day out for me- cycling, rugby and maybe a beer or two – all whilst raising money for Ospreys in the community!”

 

 

 

To help Grant hit is fundraising target, please click the button below:

 

 

 

Each rider must raise a minimum of £250, so to see who else is raising money for OiTC on the ride and help them on their way, click the button below and then click on “Fundraisers

 

 

 

Here’s what OitC have to say about the event:

Ospreys in the Community have teamed up with White Rock Events to launch our first charity bike ride. On Saturday 18th April 2020, Ospreys will take on the Dragons at the Principality Stadium for Judgement Day. All tracks lead to Cardiff, as the same day we will be holding our first charity bike ride from the Liberty Stadium to the home of Welsh Rugby in time for the big derby! Riders over the age of 14 of all abilities can get involved in supporting the cause in this unique cycling experience

How the funding will be spent

All Finances will go towards sustaining the great work done in our local communities by Ospreys in the Community. Supporting people to make positive life changes through the power of sport and conversation. We work to improve lives by working with others to create a range of programmes that sit within our four core values: education, health, sport, and inclusion

How this will benefit the community

Ospreys in the Community is a not-for-profit foundation working in close partnership with Ospreys Rugby. We share a strong relationship and form a key part of the Ospreys’ Strategy. We operate independently to the professional rugby organisation. Our aim is to create a vibrant and sustainable foundation and harness the power of the Ospreys to make a positive difference in our communities. We hope to encourage boys and girls of all ages and abilities to make positive life choices.

Here’s some more about OiTC


For anyone interested in joining up and supporting this event, please click the link below to email Tom Sloan

 

 

 

If anyone wants to know a bit more about the ride, here are some Q&A’s from the launch event last week.

Questions & Answers

What is The Judgement Day Ride? 

The Judgement Day Ride is a cycle ride from The Liberty Stadium to The Principality Stadium in time to watch the double header Judgement Day. How fit do I need to be? The event involves exercise and so a basic level of fitness is required. If in doubt check with your GP before confirming your entry. We will be running a training day in the build up to the Ride.

Will going you off be road or using roads?

We use mostly roads and cycle paths. 

What type of bike will I need?

We strongly recommend a road bike serviced shortly before departure. 

Can I use a mountain bike or hybrid? 

Yes but your fitness and ability will need to be of a much higher standard. It is very difficult for the best cyclist on a hybrid to keep up with a novice on a road bike. Not impossible but you will be at a disadvantage. 

How fast will we be riding? 

We are anticipating 3 groups (based on a party of 50). Target speed will be 12mph, 14 mph and 16mph. We will know more once we know the final make up of the party. How far will we by cycling It is 45 miles to the Stadium.

How many hills are there?

Most of the climbs are around the Cowbridge area. It isn’t flat but nothing too testing.

Have I enough time to train? 

We will help you with training tips and will be organising a training day before we go. With the right equipment it should be within the range of most people. 

Do I ride alone? 

No this is a fully supported Ride. You will ride as part of a group of approximately 15 riders. Each group will have a Ride Captain and Vice Captain. All are very experienced and are fully trained in first aid and have good cycle mechanic skills. 

We will be teaching riders how to ride in a peloton. This enables the ride to move along using 30% less energy than riding alone. The effect is that even inexperienced riders with basic preparation can complete the challenge.

What if I get lost?

You will be with a team cycling all day – we leave no one behind.  We also give you access to our GPS app for your phone.

What time will we leave? What time will we get there? 

We leave the Liberty at 8:00am and aim to be at the Principality by 12:30pm. Kick off is at 2:15pm 

What happens to my bike? 

At the end of the ride we will load your bike onto a truck and it will be delivered back to Swansea in time for collection on the Sunday?

What about repairs / punctures? Do I need to bring spares? 

We will have staff to repair punctures and any other faults. We will have some spare bikes in case of a more serious failure. We ask you to bring along 2 inner tubes. 

How do we get back to Swansea? 

A coach will be provided with an agreed departure time. Alternatively you may wish to stay longer in Cardiff.

What happens to my luggage? 

You will load your change of clothes on to the van at The Liberty Stadium and you will have access to this in Cardiff. Will we get fed along the way? Yes we have included a stop near halfway. You will also receive a food voucher for the Stadium.

Can I get a shower when we arrive?

Yes arrangements are being made for you to shower.

Can you recommend anywhere I can get a new bike?

Cycle Solutions have a store in the Uplands, Swansea and can meet all your needs. 

bike or get my bike serviced.

Will I need insurance?

We recommend everyone has cycle insurance. 

Apart from the bike what other equipment would I need? 

Weather conditions in April can be changeable and, as with any Welsh day, we could have all seasons in one day. The essential kit list is as follows:- 

  • Waterproof jacket
  • Pair 8 panel shorts
  • Transmission base layer
  • Road bike helmet (compulsory)
  • Good waterproof/ warm glove
  • Warm leggings
  • Mid layer long sleeve cycle shirt
  • Clear glasses for peloton cycling
  • Water bottles/ cages x 2 

Will my bike get damaged in transition? 

We will take great care with your bike when transporting in our vehicles. We strongly recommend you bring along a bike box. If you do not have a bike box bring a blanket and pipe lagging from a local plumbing centre will protect your frame.

Cycle helmet?

This is compulsory and you will not be covered by insurance if you are not wearing a helmet.

How much experience do the organisers have?

Combined there is over 50 years of experience in organising charity cycle rides and cycle tours.